Preston Bus Station
Architects Keith Ingham and Charlie Wilson of Building Design Partnership (BDP) designed the Preston Bus Station in Lancashire. The building contains a spacious waiting area topped with four stories of parking, which are accentuated with swooping concrete elements. Architectural historian Elain Harwood and writer Anne Ward both included the station on their lists.
Architects Andy MacMillan and Isi Metzstein of Gillespie, Kidd & Coia designed the Lawns, a residence hall at the University of Hull in East Yorkshire. The brick complex contains a social center and six halls made up of tightly connected three-story blocks. The Lawns were picked for the book by architects Birkin Haward and Jonathan Sergison.
Abstract artist and architect Victor Pasmore designed Apollo Pavilion, a 1969 structure in Peterlee, County Durham. The reinforced concrete bridge is made up of rectangular forms, and straddles an artificial lake on the Sunny Blunts Estate. Nominated by architects Claire Harper and James Perry and writer Stefi Orazi, the Apollo Pavilion was restored by Burns Architects and given a Grade II listing in 2011.
The Sugden House
Alison and Peter Smithson’s Sugden House, completed in 1956 in Hertfordshire, was one of the architects’ early commissions and one of the few private homes they designed. The home blends traditional elements of suburban housing with playful design details, such as the irregularly placed windows and mix of interior materials. Four experts, including writer John Grindrod and architects Birkin Hayward, Charles Holland, and Jonathan Sergison, included the house on their lists.
St. Bride’s Roman Catholic Church
Gillespie, Kidd & Coia completed St. Bride’s Roman Catholic Church in East Kilbride, Glasgow, in 1964. The interior of the monolithic brick structure is illuminated by a glazed roof and copper-clad dormers. The contemporary church was refurbished in 2016 and was nominated by architects Claire Harper, James Perry, and Simon Henley, and writer Anne Ward.
1, 2, & 3 Willow Road
The terrace of three houses on Willow Road in Hampsted, London, was one of Hungarian architect Ernő Goldfinger’s first major projects in Britain. The modern homes, completed in 1939, were clad in brick instead of the white stucco that was common in the era. It’s rumored that James Bond creator and Hampstead resident Ian Fleming hated the buildings so much that he borrowed the architect’s last name for one of his most famous villains. The homes were nominated by architect Keith Bradley.